Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Composition

Curved Lines
















I couldn't decide which version I preferred, so I opted for the easy way out and posted both. The lines are more distinct in the black and white, but I like the blue and yellow in the colored shot. The primary subject is the curved lines, and the secondary subject is the lighting. I think this shot would have been better without the opening on the left. It adds light and color, but it is distracting from the tunnel.
Shutter 1/60 - Aperture f/5.2 - ISO 800 - Focal Length 17.1 mm




Rule of Thirds
This is not a normal sight during the winter, usually the milkweed would be covered with snow and ice. The primary subject is the seeds, the trees are secondary. The detail of the "fluff" on the adds interest to the picture. The shot would have been better at a different angle. The trees in the background, while providing a secondary subject, are distracting.
Shutter 1/170 - Aperture f/12.5 - ISO 100 - Focal Length 11 mm

Leading Lines
Although it isn't the most creative subject, this silo provides an example of leading lines. I like the contrast between the man-made silo and the vines. I also like how the sun hits just the top of the ladder.
Shutter 1/180 - Aperture f/5.2 - ISO 160 - Focal Length 17.1 mm

Horizontal Lines
A snow-covered driveway. It is such an ordinary subject, but I never really stop to look at it. The texture and shadows are secondary to the repetition of horizontal lines. My eyes wander all over this picture, and it would have been better if there was some particular object, not just element, that my eyes were drawn to.
Shutter 1/180 - Aperture f/4.6 - ISO 100 - Focal Length 13.7 mm

Diagonal Lines
This shot was a complete accident. I had climbed inside of our empty silo to get some other shots, and just snapped a few while I was inside. The main subject of this photo is the diagonal lines, and circles are the secondary. The contrast of the rust and the silver adds to the shot.  
Shutter 1/60 - Aperture f/5.2 - ISO 800  - Focal Length 17.1 mm


This is another example of curved lines. I like the detail in this shot. The photo would have been better without the shadow across the edge.
Shutter 1/600 - Aperture f/4.1 - ISO 100 - Focal Length 11 mm



1 comment:

  1. I really like the tunnel picture Lindsey. I think I like the colored one better.
    all of your pictures look really good. Great job!

    ReplyDelete